Opa!

Saturday, June 6, 2009
I'm happy about this weekend as "My Life in Ruins" opens. This movie is the third by Nia Vardalos, a Cdn Greek, in which I'm told by my Greek family is a distant cousin. Of course, if you're Greek, everyone's a cousin. So I'm not sure how distant Nia's family is to the Iatridis family. But I've learned quickly within my Greek family that theios (uncles), theias (aunts) and xederfos (cousins) could include your next door neighbour's best friend's girlfriend. Often ex-girlfriend too. Anyways, in case you were living under a rock about 8 years ago and missed "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", DEAR GAWD, go and rent that movie. Tora!! (NOW!!)

Now you may be wondering if I am actually Greek. Officially, no. But I consider myself an adopted Greek and have a full fledged Greek family. The short version of this story is that I grew up with a close highschool friend who's father is from Greece. The family has two sons, so me being over at their house daily often felt like being the daughter of the family. One Greek Orthodox Easter, they presented me with a cake. I quizzed them to why I would have my own cake on Easter (of ALL days!). They explained to me that this day would now be my nameday (a Greek tradition) and gave me my own Greek name: Anastasia. The name comes from Anastasios meaning "resurrection", hence the Easter theme (though I was later told that my nameday is actually December 22nd, not Easter, but ehhh, we bend the rules a lil'). So Greek name, Greek nameday, Greek family. Opa! I couldn't ask for a more supportive adoptive family like my Greek mom and dad, not to mentioned two fabulous Greek bros. The above picture is from my Greek bros' wedding a few years back. Come my wedding, we're smashing plates just like so! I'm very proud of my Greek family, just as I am of my own. Both our families are close, my moms hang out together as much as possible. And if you have watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (if not, why are you still reading this blog? GO RENT IT! TORA! TORA!!), yes, my Greek family is EXACTLY like that (minus the spitting). So Mad Beaker to Nia for giving the non-Greeks in the world a lil' insight to the rich culture of hers (and unofficially mine).

Back in a coffee shop today, finishing the slides for the defense. Last night I was losing some sleep over the d-day. Just concerns that I won't make the grade to be Ph.D. material. My colleagues and friends say that isn't the case, but I'd rather be worried and study like hell than be overconfident and arrogant. A colleague of mine recently attended an open defense and was shocked that the student didn't actually READ their thesis before hand. WTF did they think the questions would be on? Their choice of attire of the day? I'm already reviewing my thesis and finding (oh my) big areas for revision. Game plan is to keep quiet about what I found that needs fixing unless they bring it up. So shhhhhhh...

Music, since I'm talking about my Greek family, might as well as play a lil' Arkadia, a Greek band from my hometown that comprises of (you guessed it) my Greek cousins. Sadly, I can't finding any youtube clips (cough cough nudge nudge to my Arkadia cousins), but if you search within their discography site, you'll find some samples of their CDs. I miss hearing you guys play live!!! Sniffs. Ora kali (laterz) folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment