Leaving a legacy

Sunday, July 12, 2009
Not much time to post this past week as I've been in the midst of moving to my new lab as mentioned before. During this process, my former lab members have been circling my bench, calling dibs on several items that I've "invented" in the lab over the years. Sure there's an thesis regarding my data that will soon grace the bookshelf for which "generations" will use as groundwork for their own experiments. But currently what my former labmates are more concern about is inheriting my legacy signature items. So today's something sciencey Sunday I give you the most sought for items from my shelf:

First up - Nanc's Amazing Transformation Miracle Machine (pat pending). This goes with that transformation procedure I mentioned last week. Within the incubator you need to place bacteria with plasmid... you need something to hold the bacteria with plasmid... enter the miracle machine. I believe all labs that I've worked in have one of these around which I fashioned. Yes, it's really kimwipe tissues in a small beaker. BUT FOLKS, there's a miracle that I've bestowed onto the vessel which gives it magic. Just ask anyone who's needed the transformation to work in a flash!

Second item - the Magic Formula. Of note, I didn't invent the actual magic formula solution, but somehow my creative "zing" added to the success whomever decided to use this solution. I'm kinda like the rabbi in the meatmarket, I'm often asked to "bless" the reagent to make it kosher. Now this may not sound scientific, having miracle machines and magic reagents. But when you're in the lab at 3AM with a pressing deadline, whatever your beliefs are, a lil' prayer and magic can't hurt things.

Not all of my tools of trade are remaining in my old lab. In fact I have a few (three to be precise) personal sciencey items that I tote from lab to lab: an inoculating needle and two culture spreaders. The inoculating needle is a standard tool, platinum wire attached to a handle, used to stab bacteria culture into solid media. This was a gift to me from my first microbiology lab instructor. For the spreaders, as the name implies, these tools enable microbiologists to evenly spread bacteria culture onto an agar petri plate. Normally, the spreaders are fashioned out of slender glass rods and often referred to as "hockey sticks" (I kid you not). However my spreaders are extra special as they are made out of a light tin alloy and were specially fashioned for me by my first lab mom, Kat, when I was just a budding microbiologist. You can't buy these spreaders anywhere, they are one of a kind, and I often have to ward off fellow labmates from stealing these two "hot" commods.

I haven't posted music of late but that doesn't mean I haven't been listening to tunes. "New Soul" by Yael Naim was first introduced from the Mac's airbook commercial. The jingle stuck in my head from the first time I saw the TV ad. Given my current job status, I've been thinking about this song more as I'm a new soul in a new lab (strange world) hoping to learn about new things (give and take). And also, just like the song says, "finding myself making every possible mistake..." fits the mood perfectly. Ehhh, I'll get the hang of it eventually.

0 comments:

Post a Comment