I'm with the Jules

Saturday, March 6, 2010

A few weeks back I was treated to a delightful night of modern and contemporary dance. I'm no an expert on dance styles and neither know the difference between a dosado and chassé. But I do enjoy watching dancers take the stage with imaginative choreography and unforgettable music. What made this performance extra special was that a friend in a former lab was one of the performers. There's a stereotype that scientists are married to their research. While that may be sadly true, we do have interests outside the lab (much to our supervisor's displeasure). Mine being obviously hockey. For Jules, she has recently rekindled her passion for dancing. Her enthusiasm and dedication to dancing is contagious. I often wish I had the grace in my muscles to move like she can. A Mad Beaker award to you Jules! She started a blog about her experiences if you'd like to follow along.

Back to the performance which was Orchesis Dance Motif 2010, I wasn't able to sneak a camera in and record some moves from the show. However I was able to make a soundtrack of the night with the selected music in which I'll post a few links in the coming weeks. Today's music is from an old group called Vitamin String Quartet. It's a group which could be classified part of the Baroque Rock genre. They take rock/pop songs from Coldplay, Evanescence, Linkin Park, even Eric Clapton and Enya and rearrange the music into a classical tribute. The result is you hear a great song remade into another great song. Radiohead's Reckoner remake is simply fabulous!

0 comments:

Post a Comment