the Old Black Rum's got a hold on me

Monday, November 1, 2010
It's been an eight year repos, but this past Saturday I finally got to dance in my seat (and out of it) once again thanks to five delightful fellas from a lil' rock we Canucks like to call Newfoundland. Great Big Sea stopped by for an evening of songs and comical anecdotes to a sold out crowd. I managed to snap up the 2nd last ticket (great seat too, front centre, 12 rows back) thanks to Dawn with her mentioning "oh yeah, we're going to Great Big Sea this Saturday" when I enquired about her weekend plans. I think my face went all crumpled-fetal-position like upon hearing the news as she later asked her boyfriend to give up his ticket for me (awwww, I'm touched). Never to fear! I have ticketmaster magic!

So after a delightful dinner with a group of friends, off to the concert hall on campus. We split up making our way to the theater (different autos) and whilst walking to the venue I was soon approached by an elderly lady (my guess in her early 70s) with a cane who looked lost. I put on my helpful smile as she beelined for me, apparently a lady on a mission.

"Excuse me, but where's the Jubee?" in her small adorable voice.

"Oh, are you going to see Great Big Sea?" I asked.

Her face lit up, "Oh yes, I've been waiting for this all year!"

Doris apparently has never seen GBS preformed live, but "listened to them many times on TV." We chatted more about ourselves. We discovered that both of us were prairie folks, me being from Saskatchewan and she from some small community in Manitoba. But less chit-chatter, more walking to the venue, she was shuffling so fast that I had to sprint a bit to keep up to her. I later spotted her in the front row, dancing with her lil' cane in hand - man, there's a fan!

Speaking about fans, there were all types - including dogs. I found myself sitting next two blind ladies who brought their guide dogs. I mentioned to one with the black lab (Jeb) that I bet her dog was a bigger GBS fan than her. She giggled back. We were quite the group - two Blinds, two dogs, and the Deaf chick. I must apologize to Jeb though, I think I stepped on his tail a few times while dancing. Yes, we danced - very few times the crowd was sitting for the entire three hour show. The band did two full sets, then two encores.

The opening song got everyone to their feet right away: Donkey Riding. Oh Tawnya, I wish you were there! Everytime I hear this song, I think of you cracking up. The rest of the show was filled with great foot stomping music and laughs as Alan Doyle would chat about the Liquid Angels. I also found out this evening that Alan was able to get a spot on Russel Crow's latest version of Robin Hood. More reason to go rent that one.

Before the show I said to Dawn that I hope that they would play two of my fave songs: Excursion Around the Bay and Old Black Rum. The first was one best memory of GBS concert I attended on Parliament Hill one Canada Day eight years ago. The Black Rum has a special place for me for the past 5 years. In my pixelated gaming life, I named my crew "Black Rum" in honour of GBS. My crewmates have all heard my version on this song on Ventrilo. A lot of my pixelated pirate life has been singing sea shanties with many folks around the world, GBS songs included. I was ecstatic when Excursion was played in the first encore. And the final song of the night... 

 

It's safe to say that I'm bias for GBS, but truly, if you ever want to hear Canadian music at its best, definitely do yourself a favour to go see them when they are in town. All they are missing is lumberjacks, maple syrup,  and beavers to complete your Cdn experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment