Alas poor Yorick...

Thursday, April 2, 2009
Alrighty, as promised a lil' detailed info on graphic novels that appear on my bookshelves. One prominent is "Y: The Last Man" series by Brian K. Vaughan. I was drawn to it due to the science of the plot. There's been an outbreak that has killed all living mammals with the Y chromosome except for our hero Yorick Brown and his sidekick pet monkey, Ampersand. The story revolves around the adventures of Yorick, the women he meets, the aftermath of such a holocaust (just think, the entire world population drops by 50% in one day) and the long sought quest to discover the cause to the outbreak and why Yorick and the monkey were immune. I'll admit that I need to reread the series front to back (post-thesis though), as I've been reading along for the past 4 years and some side stories get forgotten. But truly, it's a good thought provoking series: what happens in a world with no men? Social norms become skewed, religion is polarized, propogation of the human species is threaten (the outbreak kills EVERY cell with the Y chromosome, so even sperm banks are toast), plus there's that exploration of the "Day after the Armageddon: what now?" storyline. Yes, it's all wrapped up with the "whodunnit" adventure of why/how? The series has now ended. I wasn't too impressed with all the finale answers, but the journey along the way to get there was a good one. I give it 4 Mad Beakers out of 5. Definitely flick quality, so expect to see it in a theater within the next 5 years.

In the ear, hmmm, talking about "Y" made me think about Leonard Cohen's "I'm your man". There's a recent flick of him with the said song title. I need to pick it up soon to watch. Lenny is an old time fave of mine. His sultry hypnotic baritone voice wins me over any day. Of course there's this "slight" memory of an ex and I listening to Lenny at night. (coughs) Anyways, enjoy. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment