Good Ripples

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
I've been getting a lot of emails/phone calls from friends and family from everywhere over the past 5 days. I think I'm experiencing what's known as the "thesis high": the euphoria of completing something that you'd thought could never be completed (ask any grad student if they ever felt that they'd never graduate, you'll get a resounding YES!!!).

I'm kinda overwhelmed with the response so far. For some reason, everyone's going over the top about this one. I could ramble on how great the accomplishment of completing this degree is impacting a lot of people, but honestly everytime I start writing about it, I feel that I'm gushing too much. And it's just in my nature not to gush. Vent, yes. Gush, no.

But one thing that has been on my mind, this whole hoopla has started me thinking about "good ripples" effects with completing this degree. I'm seeing that completing this degree has connected a lot of folks and ultimately producing good ripples. I'll admit that I'm a fan of the Joan of Arcadia TV series and good ripples was something that just kept with me from that show, along with various other meta-philosophical or quantum physic theories. I felt that the show pulled it off in not such a sappy "Touch by an Angel" way (I don't even want to link that series... ick).


So good ripples are already being felt from the thesis completion and hopefully for many years to come.

Update of current activities, I am working in the same lab as I've been for the past 6 years working away on the same project. On my bench is 6 copies of the thesis riddled with revisions before it can be officially accepted. My bench itself is choked with various papers and textbooks in which need to be cleaned out as someone has already called my bench. So deadlines still in need to be met, things still need to be written, desk/bench to be cleared out. It sounds stressful doesn't it? But everything seems a lil' brighter somehow as the dark ominous thesis cloud isn't following me around. So next few weeks are busy making the final finishing touches of the degree before I plunge finally into the "REAL WORLD" (eeeeeeeeeek!).

I haven't posted music for sometime now. I've thought about what songs would be appropriate during this time. One of the grad secretary's was humming the Rocky theme and said I should run up the steps in Rocky-style... so, who am I to argue with the masses?

0 comments:

Post a Comment