O Canada...

Friday, June 19, 2009
Over on facebook, I was kindly reminded of some oldies short Cdn films that were highly popular as a kid growing up (I guess they would be considered oldies nowdays). I remember in highschool we'd begged the teachers to show us these films as we figured that it was good education being Canadian arts and all those things. Yeah, we really just wanted the afternoon off. But seriously, these following short films are pure Cdn genius. They were just as popular as Hinterland Who's Who (man, that theme brings back fond memories). Anyways, seeing that Canada Day is coming up, I thought I post something of the creative Canuck culture (oooh, AA points there Char!). Big thanks to Helen who reminded me of the first fantastic film (ooooh, I'm on a roll!!!).

"The Cat Came Back" is probably the most famous short movie in the history of Cdn arts. If you ever want to see if there's a Cdn in the room (without asking who wants timbits), just hum the first line melody and if we're present, you'll hear someone sing the full chorus immediately.



The 2nd one is a personal favourite of mine. "Black Fly" reminds me of summers at Clear Lake, Manitoba. If ever head into any Cdn deep woods, bring repellent, extra-strength. Otherwise you're just the bottom of the food chain. Another note, the song overpronounces the Cdn province Ontario. Do not go to Toronto and say their province as On-TARE-EYE-Oh. Not unless you want maple syrup shoved up where the sun don't shine. Yes, consider yourself warned.



Last, but not least, "Log Driver's Waltz". I hum this song a lot to myself... maybe it's true what the song says, "I think I will marry my log driver..."



Have a gander with the nfb.ca website, there's a lot of hidden Cdn gems to view. Laterz folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment