Back in the net

Monday, April 20, 2009
Well after a hiatus of no hockey for nearly 3 weeks (talk about cold turkey!), BOOM! I'm back between the pipes. Secretly, I wish I had 4 weeks off considering what's left to write about thesis, but happy to be back nonetheless. However, holy hell (oooh alliteration again! I'm on a roll!)... can we say overkill? Within the space of 9 days I've got at least 7 games. There's a ice hockey tourney I forgot I signed up for this weekend. And city league ball hockey sweetly starts the same weekend too. I would groan, but it's the same group of women I'm playing with for both leagues, so we just groan together. At practise today it was nice to see our captain back in action. She broke her ankle in two places in a January match (ouchie) and has been on the sidelines ever since.

I'm feverishly writing today too. Yesterday's experiments left no time to write. It's 10 hours of straight science. Kinda a change, but I feel this weight bearing down on me that "YOU SHOULD BE WRITING!!!!" Eh, in 3 weeks, I'll be done this, there will be hockey and research before the defense in June.

On the job hunt front, I got another interview this Thursday for a lab tech position at the University. Cons: it's not research position and doesn't really help advance my career, but pros: the pay is good and it sounds like a lot fun. It's a lab tech position that oversees a special first year university course that takes a different approach to teaching. So I'll be back doing chem, physics, even computer science. No doubt I'll miss research, however there's a part of me that wants this job to re-connect myself to the love of science. Grad school has definitely made me (news flash!) bitter. I miss the innocence and thrill of discovery without the pressure to perform.

They sent some interview questions, so I've got to prep for that. I'm certain there's many ppl like me applying for this job, so I'll have to turn on the shine. Stay tune for details from that.

In my ear... I'm in a mellow mood today (well, stressed-out mellow mood, is that possible?), so I'm listening to the Brit DJ Bonobo's "Silver" (advice, don't watch the video, the pictures kinda kill the vibe, just play the music). It's kinda a mellow electronic pop. I enjoy music like Bonobo or Moby when I'm writing. The silence of writing is often distracting, but putting on my regular playlist will often result to me dancing, or singing... or both. So, just Bonobo today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment