Three chapters down...

Saturday, April 18, 2009
Okay, if you have to ask "what's new?" I'll have to answer with a facepalm. Three chapters officially done. So that leaves JUST three more plus the appendices. Did I mentioned there's less than 3 weeks to go? Hmmm, the threes are definitely happening today. The good news, is that seriously the first three (there it is again) chapters are going to be the longest. How long do you say? Well without the references combined, we're talking over 200 pages.

I could've went for 333 pages, but then that would be just scary and besides 333 x 2 = 666 and that would be just mental (yeah, I'm all conspiracy theory today).

A few things outside the thesis I've been following. First, it's gone viral over the net but it's really moving. I'm not a fan of reality talent shows. I was bored of the first American Idol. But leave it to the media to take something and beat it over our heads. Now we've got "So you think can dance/sing/chew-gum-at-the-same-time!" all over. Talent shows are nothing new, but really, now it's like every country "Got Talent". So yawn... whatever. However earlier this week while reading my trusty Cdn news wesbite, I was directed to Ms. Susan Boyle. If you haven't heard of this story yet, go watch the video then come back.

Wow, hmmm? That's something rare: a honest moment of truth in this harsh judging materialistic labelling world. So many people can identify with Ms. Boyle. It'll be interesting how far she'll go now. I wonder if the makeover shows are now fighting over the rights to re-invent her. Regardless of what may come for Ms. Boyle, a golden Mad beaker award to thee.

Other things on the net chatter. Twitter! Yes, I've recently became another follower of this micromessenging fad. But of late it's becoming "who's more popular" war. Like the number of "friends" in your facebook profile. More recently, it was Ashton Kutcher vs. CNN for a million followers. I hear now Oprah is wanting in on this too (oooh I hear the Rocky Anthem). I do agree with Ashton saying that Twitter is democratizing media and removing filters between celebrities and fans, big media companies and their customers. There's always this wall between celebrities and fans. It's honestly in place for a good reason. But the strange thing is that it's the media that governs this wall. Now Twitter punches a hole in it, allowing some singer/writer/actor/activist/your mom to communicate freely with their group base. Of course you've got to be careful with what you believe. Hell I could start a twitter site as Heath Ledger or Albert Einstein. So if I follow anyone "famous", I'm a lil hesitant to believe it's actually them. It's just some harmless fun. There's the flip freak side of twittering: suddenly unknown people are following you. Most were companies trying to get me on board with their product. See that's a scary thing, next thing I know that ShamWoW dude will be following me. Or maybe Billy Mayes. Yeah... scary indeed. With all this following, I suspect Twitter will give birth the next schizo generation.

Okay, in my ear... a cult classic by Warren Zevon Aaaaahhhhhwoooooooooooooo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment