No news is good news?

Monday, April 6, 2009
So no callback as of yet about the job. I'm thinking either they are interviewing more folks or making a tough choice on who will get the position. At least it's not a balatant NO! Thus, I'm still hopeful. I did find a position in Vancouver that sounds intriguing. It's with a biotech company on UBC campus. The pros of the job: more money (which would be absolutely essential if I was to move back to Vancouver), the chance to develop new DNA isolation techniques, and it's VANCOUVER (my self-proclaimed lil' piece of heaven on Earth). The cons: it's not microbiology related which is really my first love. I've been pondering more about what route I should take after the PhD. Normally as a "good lil grad" you're supposed to go do a post-doc then obtain a faculty position to own your own lab. Post-doc positions aren't something to envy. You're usually under MORE pressure to perform publishable science and seriously not paid nearly enough for your skills that have taken 10-odd years to perfect in university. However having a post-doc under your belt keeps some doors open for you and there's only a 3-4 year grace period after the PhD to do one. However for me, I'm not certain whether academia life is for me. On top of the pressure to pull scientific marvels out of your labcoat, there's always the issue of funding. You can be happily working in your lab one day and then POOF! Funding gone! Out of job! Move elsewhere. It's not a great "settle-down" lifestyle. I'm kinda yearning for moving only once or twice before settling down for good. So the debate rages on... time will tell.

It's seasonably warm and sunny today which always brightens my mood. Winter is nice. I don't mind snow and ice (ice meaning hockey, natch). But I do enjoy walking outside without a jacket and freezing my tush off.

It's Monday... so how 'bout some Stones to start off the week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment