All I ask is for a tall ship and stars to steer her by...

Friday, May 15, 2009
So after that rollercoaster week (thesis in YAY!! car vandalized GAK!!), I decided to end things on a more upbeat note and take in Star Trek on Friday afternoon. The bonus point was that the theater was FINALLY showing it with Rear Window Captioning so I could get ALL the dialogue and not just parts of it. It's true that all movies at ALL times should have this feature. But like everything else I learn with having a disability, change takes time.

Anyways, Star Trek. I confess that I'm a closeted Trekker. I've attended conventions AND thoroughly enjoyed myself (no, I didn't dress up, I'm not THAT a fanatic). I own 3 complete series and all the movies (whether I like them or not, seriously... ST5? It's just there to fill the gap between Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country). My closet houses a toy tricorder and phaser. And give me a quote and I'll give you the series, episode, who said it, to whom, and the importance of it (if any).

So I'm well vested in the Star Trek universe and was happy to hear that JJ Abrams was heading up the latest installment. I like JJ, he has a good vision as a writer and a director. Although I never was able to get into the series LOST, I was an avid fan of Alias. But I did hear that the 11th movie steers away from the Star Trek Universe canon, which I was weary of. Indeed while watching the film today, it profoundly changed the history of Star Trek. But the writers did make a loop hole that can explain things to satisfy the die-hard Trekker like me. However I WAS left wondering, is this movie a TRUE prequel? Hmmm huh? Oooh I can just FEEL this topic being debated upon in a few fan forums.


Aside from that quip of continuity, my gawd did I have fun with this show. The actors got the characters down to a science (pardon the pun). DeForrest would've been proud of Karl Urban. And I was LMFAO with Chekov and Scotty. I'm happy with this one, it breathes new life into the Star Trek franchise and that always means that more is to come. I give this flick 5 mad beakers out of 5 for entertaining me so. But truth be told, I'm still waiting for a DS9 story. They left too many questions unanswered from that series. Yeah, I know it wasn't a fave series of them all, so the probability of seeing a DS9 flick will be nil (man, I'm sounding like Spock).

Other news: on the license front, my car now sport a shiny new plate. Snaps to my mom for being a dear and promptly sending me out a replacement plate. This weekend is the May long weekend in Canada. And oddly enough, I'm going to take the full three days off. Strange but true. I think the past 6 years of hell and even the past 6 months of writing hell warrants a three day week-end... don't you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment