If I only were a Goth...

Wednesday, May 20, 2009
I think I've developed an addiction: coffee shops. Of the past 4 months I've frequented a total of 5 different coffee shops to write the thesis. But with the tome finally handed in, I've been missing my cozy cafe corners. Literally. Most seats I've taken were next to a wall to plug the laptop for 8 hours of pure powah. So here I am. Back in a coffee shop. This time instead of making tables or writing why I believe this data means that, I'm writing up cover letters for more job applications.

It's been stressful of late. Oh wait, clarify: it's been stressful personally not JUST academically! It's been nagging my mind constantly, but I figured deal with the thesis first, then focus on job hunting full time. The irony is that with the current recession everyone is recommending that you go to grad school. Of course I've never been one to follow the trends. As you already know I have been applying for jobs for the past 8 months now. Only two nibbles of interviews, but both I was passed over. I've been trying to keep things positive, but with the looming unemployment status and the need keep a roof over my head, my nerves are getting frayed. Something will come. I know that. Just I'd rather have it much sooner than later. Anyways, I keep casting a wide net. If things get too bleak I might be doing MORE in a coffee shop other than typing.

Other things... I'll give a few Mad Beaker awards to some websites that deserve some kudos. First, I'm a long time fan of Katy Towell and Childrin R Skary. Her art and mentality are just brill. My fave movie is "When Genevieve Ruled the World" Char knows one reason why I chuckle to this one so. You may wonder, with a lot of other folks, if I am a closeted goth. I'm sure my fellow gothic friends would shout, "Hell no!" with much affection. This is also obvious during the moments when I'm standing in a goth store (yes, they do exist) in which I stick out like a sore vanilla thumb. I think the main reason would be that I go easy on the eyeshadow. But truth be told, I enjoy the dark humour, very dark. Katy's childrin are portrayals of my mind state often, just misunderstood souls with a dash of arsenic. Yes, do try my cookiez...

Another Mad Beaker to my good friends Matt and Roz with their geek blog/forum/franchise: Squirrels of Doom. This is a good dose of the geekiness to my personality. WoW, Joss Whedon, Star Trek, comics, zombie/horror/B-side flicks (though Matt, Roz... why no mention of MST3K?). The "Squirrels of Doom" title isn't some catch phrase coined during some offbeat convo (on second thought... yeah, I can see this the true story of SoD), it's actually part of the title of their movie script. I have a personal revelation with this script. One evening in the "luuuub", I went to print something off the communal lab printer. I plugged the printer cord into my trusty laptop, hit the print button, and suddenly pages upon pages start printing off of some script called "Squirrels of Doom". I'm alone in the lab, it's night, and wondering how did my three graphs turn into this now prophecy of killer mutant squirrels (cue twilight zone theme). Of course there's always a "scientific" explanation to these events, turns out that the script was just in the spool as my co-labrat Dawn was previously trying to print (she's in the cast as a sexy scientist who meets an undesirable end). Anyways, I'm anxiously awaiting the first episode or even maybe a trailer... yes Matt n Roz: TRAILER! Tease the geeks!

Alrighty, enough ramblings for today, moar cover letters to write on why they should hire me without sounding desperate. Musicwise... since I've been talking about my demented gothic humour, it made me think of Voltaire (no, not THAT Voltaire... this Voltaire!) and "If I only were a Goth". Enjoy folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment